We accept interns on a continual rolling basis. As our mission is to ensure interns get one-on-one attention, enhancing the intern and research experience, we will not take more than 2 interns at a given time. Thus, we encourage interested parties to contact us as slots are limited.
Our interns assist with all current research projects, which include a variety of scientific fields (population biology, ecology, community ecology, parasitology, eco-toxicology, phylogenetics, behavioral ecology, etc.). We also have various projects that are non-crocodile related and welcome interns who’s research interests may include ecosystems or species that are not our primary focus. Interns with specific research interests are also encouraged and supported to develop small attainable projects to complete during their internships, and we work with interns to gather and analyze data for potential publication following their internship. Additionally, interns should expect to participate in community outreach, as well as working with one of our several partners here in Belize. If interested, you can request to spend time at some of our partners’ facilities as well. Interns will be expected to put in about 30 hours of work each week during their stay. As research projects will change, we will send you a personalized itinerary of what project work you should expect during your internship with us. Please inform us if there is something particular that you would like to learn during this research internship as we want you to gain and learn as much as possible to further your interest and scientific foundation.
- Accommodation at our Hatchling House at CRC headquarters, field lodging when we travel.
- Travel to and from field sites.
- Research equipment for CRC internship activities.
- Personalized, one-on-one training on wildlife research techniques, data collection and organization, tropical ecology, wildlife handling, community engagement and education, and much more!
- Opportunities to work with partner organizations in Belize and Central America.
*You are responsible for your travel to Belize, meals, and fun money for exploring and experiencing Belize outside of CRC activities*
Internship program fees are used to cover all CRC activities during your internship, your accommodation, travel, and equipment and supplies used for research activities.
- Minimum stay (2 weeks): $1,275 USD
- Monthly: $2,150 USD
Longer internships can be worked out on a case by case basis, and interns interested in long-term stay with the CRC should enquire about costs specific to their internship. Interested interns from Central America and the Caribbean should also contact the CRC directly to enquire about regional internship pricing.
Internship periods are secured with at non-refundable 50% deposit, and 100% of the balance is due 60 days before start of internship.
- 60 days prior to internship start: full refund of any funds other than deposit.
- 30 – 60 days prior: 50% refund.
- Less that 30 days: no refund